Friday, September 15, 2006

B week: plans

A week went very well. It was fun learning together. It was completely not stressful for me. I set it up so we repeat the same steps every day and there is very little for me to create or prepare for each day and each week.

Each day: jumping time and singing time may be different–different songs or movement–but that doesn't take much planning. And the daily activity is different, but that's only one thing to plan for. And for many of the lessons/activities I'm just "winging it"; I can get away with it because he's only 3 (almost).

Each week: the word cards (just five words written on index cards) and poem (that I print and mat on cardstock).

That's it. It's pretty simple, but I love it because I have a routine to stick to. It's planned. I just have to do it. And because it's so simple, I get it done and we have fun doing it. Connor's caught on to the routine too and knows what comes next. I think that's good for him to learn. That's one thing he'd learn in a formal preschool, so I'm glad he's getting that with me.

Here are the plans for B week:
word cards: book, bicycle, balloon, banana, butterfly
poem:
Butterflies, You Puzzle Me by Jack Prelutsky
Butterflies, you puzzle me,
for as you flit and flutter,
I study you, but never see
the slightest bit of butter.

Monday (social studies): babies. We'll discuss how babies grow and make a timeline of the changes people go through in life, ie. baby, toddler, preschooler, school-age child, teenager, adult, parent, etc.

Tuesday (math): We'll go to the bakery and Connor can use some of his pennies (that he earned for obedience and helping out around the house) to buy a cookie of his choice. We'll also be playing bingo.

Wednesday (scriptures/gospel): Book of Mormon. I want to give Connor an introduction to the Book of Mormon and explain where it came from. We'll probably read a little bit in the picture Book of Mormon too. And I'll check out the Family Home Evening lesson manual for some ideas.

Thursday (movement/activity): balloon boppers. Annika will be here for our swap and I'll have the kids make balloon boppers out of paper plates and paint stirs. Then they can bop balloons to some music. We can also play with bubbles outside if the weather's nice.

Friday (art project): buildings. We'll use boxes to build a cool building. We may even pull out the paint. I'm not sure exactly how this'll go, but Connor's creative, so he'll help me out.

Other b words that might come up or spark ideas for activities: beach, big/little, bubbles, bugs, butterflies, bus.

3 comments:

CL said...

Okay, you clearly need to earn a mother-of-the-year award. Your preschool sounds amazing.

I stumbled on to your blog and I am so glad I did ... you are an inspiration!

laura said...

cl,

i couldn't link to your profile/blog for some reason. thanks for the compliment!

Anonymous said...

Hey, great ideas. You are such a good mother and teacher. I am amazed when I read your blog. Keep up the good work. Love all the pictures you post. I can hardly wait to see you and the kids again. Abby is so happy and cute and Connor is amazingly articulate.